[Asterisk-Dev] Re: AgentLogin to MeetMe conference?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Apr 12 09:23:11 MST 2005

My appologies for my lack of clarity last night. I'll try again.

I'm setting up a chat service. Customers can chat either "1 on 1" or
in a group.

When a customer dials in, they choose the "theme" of the call and if
they want a "1 on 1" or a "group" chat.

For "1 on 1," agents log in using agentlogin(). Queues.conf allows me
to say which "theme" an agent may handle calls from.

I'd like to have the same functionality for group. I'd like the agent
to log in using something like agentlogin. The agent would then be
sent to the conference serving the theme they have been assigned to
(like queues.conf). The agent would sit there, administering the
conference until the agent logs out.

The "extension logic agent" approach from the wiki would probably do,
it just appears to me to be a "messsy" approach and difficult for my
staff to maintain.

I'm thinking that adding some code to agentlogin maybe with an option
letter that says to connect the agent to a conference instead of
putting the agent into a queue resource pool would be a cleaner
approach? Maybe something in the 500 lines of __login_exec()?

To me, the concept of an agent seems applicable to conferences as well
as queues.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Tony Mountifield wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0504120053390.21224 at fs.sedwards.com>,
> Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> wrote:
>> I posed this question on the user list, but nobody bit :)
>>
>>> How can I configure AgentLogin to connect the agent to a MeetMe conference?
>>>
>>> Or, can I achieve similar functionality through other means?
>>
>> I wasn't really expecting it to just be a configuration issue, just
>> wishing.
>>
>> I guess I'm going to need to dive into the code.
>>
>> Anybody care to suggest how to accomplish the following?
>>
>> I want the agent to log in (authenticate).
>>
>> I want to be able to control (via the queue.conf file or something
>> similar) which conference the agent is sent to. Basically, I'd like to
>> be able to say an agent can handle calls from queue 1, 2, 3 or, I want
>> the agent to be sent to conference 4 upon login and stay there.
>>
>> While I can probably cobble up something with extension logic, I think
>> the agent concept would be cleaner and more consistent
>
> I think you need to define (or explain) the logic a bit more completely.
>
> What I THINK you're saying in your above example is something like:
>
> a) The agent logs in. If there are calls waiting on the queue(s), then
> the agent gets given those call(s) until the queue(s) is/are empty.
>
> b) When the queue(s) is/are empty, the agent gets put into the conference.
>
> c) What happens when the next call comes in on a queue? Does the agent
> get pulled out of the conference automatically to answer the call? If so,
> what if the agent was in the middle of saying something important in the
> conference (assuming he is in the conf to talk as well as listen)?
>
> It might help people to suggest approaches if you explain what problem
> you are trying to solve - what you are fundamentally trying to achieve.
>
> It may still be a -users topic, but we can't tell at the moment.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield