[Asterisk-Dev] GPL Violation http://www.asteriskwin32.com/

Johnathan Corgan jcorgan at aeinet.com
Mon Apr 11 21:46:41 MST 2005

Preston Garrison wrote:

> Damn give the guy a break, if it was me i would tell you all where you
> could shove it.

Hmmm.

The developer in question is to be commended for taking on the task of
getting Asterisk to run in a Win32/Cygwin environment.

His promises notwithstanding, though, he actually really is infringing
on the Asterisk copyright at this point.

Nothing gives him permission to distribute the files that he does on his
website, which contain files copyrighted by Mark Spencer (and others),
except his prior agreement to the terms of the GNU GPL.  These terms
include providing, on demand, the original and modified source code he
used to create the files he is now distributing.  This license he agreed
to is very clear on this point.  (And if he didn't agree to it, he does
not then have any permission to distribute what he is on the website.)

It's not a matter of best-effort, or when he thinks the files are
"ready" for distribution.

So it's not like anyone is being unreasonable for asking him for what he
had already agreed to and is actually legally bound to provide.

I remember when the announcement came out; I thought this was pretty
cool and looked forward to seeing how it worked.  I don't think anyone
is saying to him his efforts are wrong, he again just needs to follow
through with what he already agreed to--release the modifications to the
source code he began with.

-Johnathan