[Asterisk-Dev] Intel Open Source Fast Math Library

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Sat Apr 9 17:21:19 MST 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Richard Scobie wrote:

> I'm sure the developers that would use something like this are already
> aware of it, but just in case this may be of use in the dsp/echo
> canceler area of Asterisk on PIII/IV CPU's.
>
> It is the Approximate Math library on the page
>
> http://developer.intel.com/design/Pentium4/devtools/
>
> and according to
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/microprocessors/
> ia32/pentium4/optimization/19036.htm?page=1
>
> "As the "Open Source" tag implies, the AM Library is completely free
> and does not require a license to use."

It seems that this library comes with the following license:

LICENSE:  Subject to the restrictions below, Intel Corporation
("Intel") grants to you the following non-exclusive, nonassignable,
royalty-free copyright licenses in the Software. The Software may
include portions offered on terms in  addition to those set out here,
as set out in a license accompanying those portions:
•  Developer Tools include developer documentation, installation or
development utilities, and other materials.   You may use them
internally for the purposes of using the Software as licensed
hereunder, but you may not  redistribute them.
•  Sample Source may include example interface or application source
code.  You may copy, modify and  compile the Sample Source and
distribute it in your own products in binary and source code form.
•  End-User Documentation includes textual materials intended for end
users.  You may copy, modify and  distribute them.
•  Licensed Binaries are redistributable code provided in binary form.
You may copy and distribute Licensed  Binaries with your product.

RESTRICTIONS:  You will make reasonable efforts to discontinue
distribution of the portions of the Software that you are  licensed
hereunder to distribute, upon Intel’s release of an update, upgrade or
new version of the Software and to make  reasonable efforts to
distribute such updates, upgrades or new versions to your customers who
have received the  Software herein.  You may not reverse-assemble,
reverse-compile, or otherwise reverse-engineer any software provided
solely in binary  form.  Distribution of the Software is also subject
to the following limitations:  you (i) are solely responsible to your
customers for  any update or support obligation or other liability
which may arise from the distribution, (ii) do not make any statement
that your product is "certified," or that its performance is
guaranteed, by Intel, (iii) do not use Intel's name or trademarks  to
market your product without written permission, (iv) shall prohibit
disassembly and reverse engineering, and (v) shall  indemnify, hold
harmless, and defend Intel and its suppliers frofees, that arise or
result from your distribution of any product.

Maybe it doesn't require a license to use, but it requires a license to
redistribute, and the license contains restrictions that are not in the
GPL, therefore, this doesn't look GPL-compatible to me.

-SteveK