[Asterisk-Dev] Petition for IAX firmware

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Wed Apr 6 10:39:09 MST 2005

Wai Wu wrote:

> Just find out this thread. My question is. If companies like Sipura
> already makes SIP (which can work with *), why do they want to add
> support for IAX. After all, that's extra resource they have to spend
> to get that done. I have no doubt what you guys talking will work; but
> does adding IAX support makes business sense for them?

Nobody says they have to do the development themselves or even support
it when it comes out.  They can work with one of the many available
developers to create an unsupported IAX firmware load for their hardware
or perhaps simply leak the necessary few bits of information for a
self-motivated developer to run with.   Nothing says the firmware has to
be open-source.   Having an IAX firmware option will do nothing but sell
more units,  possibly at very little or no additional cost to Sipra.

I have tried to contact Sipura directly, but my requests have gone
totally unanswered.  Plus, I have contacted ESS Technologies in an
attempt to get information on the chipset Sipura use, but ESS referred
me to Cisco for 'technical assistance' on that chipset.

I think the prudent thing would be to start an open-sourced hardware
design project, then let the motivated develop their own firmware
implementations for service and features customization, branding, etc.
Open-Source worked for Zaptel, why couldn't it work for an ATA or IP
Phone design?

Jeremy  McNamara