[Asterisk-Dev] How to trigger PLC in a codec in SIP channels

Gouri Johannsen gourij at qualcomm.com
Fri Apr 1 10:31:24 MST 2005

At 07:00 PM 3/31/2005, you wrote:
>On Mar 31, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Gouri Johannsen wrote:
>
>>I know that Jitter buffer and PLC implementation is not yet done in the
>>SIP/RTP channels.  But I was wondering is there an easy way to indicate
>>to the codec that a frame did not arrive on time with the current
>>implementation (i.e. without JB?)
>
>If you don't have a jitterbuffer, how can you know when a frame didn't
>arrive on time?

Some entity that keeps time should figure out that if a frame arrived every
20ms or not.  When a frame doesn't arrive it can set a flag to say that no
frame arrived and call the translator.  You can call this a rudimentary JB,
if you will.  Currently looks like * simply doesn't do anything when a
frame doesn't arrive.  Still there is the concept of timing and expectation
of a frame every 20ms, right?

This triggering of no frame can also be used for better handling of silent
frames.

>>Along the same lines, anybody has an idea when the new jitterbuffer
>>implementation will be ready for SIP?
>
>There's a preliminary patch in mantis now.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Gouri.