[OT] [Asterisk-Dev] Wish List / Brain Storm from AstriCon

Thu Sep 30 02:19:36 MST 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:50:30 +0200, Holger Schurig
<hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de> wrote:
> > I have to say though, I really do like the idea of Asterython. Holger,
> > what do you say? Whose ego do we have to massage to get an Asterython
> > dialplan scripting engine started?
>
> I like Python as a language, but from what I know is Python not that
> suited for threaded applications because of some internal equivalent of
> the "Big Kernel Lock", it's just called "Global Interpreter Lock".

I didn't say I wanted Python. I said Asterython ;-) which is to say,
it should be Dialplan Python, not real Python or in other words it
would be nice to have a Pythonic syntax and object model but that's
about it.

> If we ever want to use something different, we need to think about:
>
> a) Extension (e.g. Pattern) matching, including support for early-dial

agreed

> b) keeping Contexts?

I would tend to say YES.

> c) inclusion of other routines?

depends on what "other routines" means.

> d) do we want Goto's inside the sections, e.g. with local labels?

Now you are walking into religious terrain again :-)

I personally feel there should be no explicit Goto facility in any
language other than Assembly language. I very much liked Modula-2 and
BLISS for their non-compromising exclusion of any kind of Goto.
Exception handling, which can be considered a form of a Goto, would
obviously be an exception :-) then again, it can also be considered a
procedure call.

> So, maybe something comes out that does not resemble on of the current
> scripting languages, but is still nicer to write/debug/recode.

Well, that's what I meant with garbling the names of the languages. It
would be nice to have syntax and general semantics that resembles
popular languages but it should nevertheless be a dialplan script and
as such purpose made for dialplans.\

> Maybe we look at SER scripts or Bayonne scripts to get ideas ...

Have you looked at those? They're absolutely HORRIBLE. I mean, can you
say "sendmail.cf"?

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.