[OT] [Asterisk-Dev] Wish List / Brain Storm from AstriCon

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Thu Sep 30 00:50:30 MST 2004

> I have to say though, I really do like the idea of Asterython. Holger,
> what do you say? Whose ego do we have to massage to get an Asterython
> dialplan scripting engine started?

I like Python as a language, but from what I know is Python not that
suited for threaded applications because of some internal equivalent of
the "Big Kernel Lock", it's just called "Global Interpreter Lock".

See the first paragraph at http://docs.python.org/api/threads.html

If all the interpretation is done in one thread, as suggested before, this
is not a problem. However, when we want to have scripts running while
connected, then I fear that one thread is not enought and would become a
bottleneck.

If we ever want to use something different, we need to think about:

a) Extension (e.g. Pattern) matching, including support for early-dial
b) keeping Contexts?
c) inclusion of other routines?
d) do we want Goto's inside the sections, e.g. with local labels?

So, maybe something comes out that does not resemble on of the current
scripting languages, but is still nicer to write/debug/recode.

Maybe we look at SER scripts or Bayonne scripts to get ideas ...