[Asterisk-Dev] cannot find extension context from-sip

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Wed Sep 29 11:07:49 MST 2004

On 09:49 AM 9/29/2004, Rajeev wrote:
>hi all,
>
>i am testing asterisk with out any additional hardware and it worked well
>for me. Now i have formatted and loaded the configuration again. The
>clients X-Lite and Cisco ATA186 are getting registered properly. When
>making calls the following error is coming.
>
>Cannot find extension context 'from-sip'
>
>my configuration details are given below.
>
>[from-sip]
>
>exten=>2000,1,Dial(SIP/2000,20)
>exten=>2000,2,Voicemail(u2000)
>exten=>2000,102,Voicemail(b2000)
>exten=>2000,103,Hangup
>
>exten=>2001,1,Dial(SIP/2001,20)
>exten=>2001,2,Voicemail(u2001)
>exten=>2001,102,Voicemail(b2001)
>exten=>2001,103,Hangup
>
>exten=>2999,1,VoicemailMain(${CALLERIDNUM})

First off, this question belongs on asterisk-users, not asterisk-dev.  How
did you come to post this to asterisk-dev?  This list is getting alot of
these lately, and I'm wondering if we need a much more aggressive approach
to defining what content goes to what lists.

To maybe answer your question, first I direct you to www.voip-info.org, as
it seems you are fairly new to asterisk.  You will find that site somewhat
helpful.  You may want to check out the asterisk-doc list and project, as
it will probably prove helpful.

The problem you are probably having here is that there are only three
numbers you will be able to dial with the configs as you have listed them
above.  Those numbers are 2000, 2001, and 2999.  Any other numbers will
give you a cant find extension in context error.  This is because you only
have those three extensions defined in the from-sip context.

-Chris