[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 and Asterisk intellectual property issues

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sun Sep 26 15:22:18 MST 2004

Brancaleoni Matteo [mbrancaleoni at espia.it] wrote:
> as far as I've understood from intel web site,
> the code is free for devel / testing / research.
>
> Now, someone states that this code is illegal,
> but why? could someone point me to the exact
> reason of that?

The code is not illegal if it is used with an appropriate
Intel license.  My understanding is that Intel will grant a
cost-free license for non-commercial use, and a commercial
license for all other uses.

If the end user doesn't obtain the appropriate license from
Intel then continued use would be illegal, although probably just
in the Civil sense.

North American users would also need to buy G.729 license(s), although
I wonder whether unused licenses in other devices (phones etc.) would
count toward the total number of licensed channels available.

> P.S. don't say me read the GPL, point to
> the right place where that is stated.
> I follow the law, but I wanna know the law.
> I don't follow the law that says "it's forbidden"
> and nothing more.

I have no idea why the GPL-breaking reference was made.  Perhaps the
person who made that remark could explain.

I can see how section 7 of the GPL would be violated if someone
attempted to GPL-license some patent-encumbered code, but this doesn't
appear to be the case here.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz