[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 and Asterisk intellectual property issues

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 08:22:06 MST 2004

> You have used Intel's code, which in turn uses much of the code in the
> ITU spec. The ITU spec. may be freely downloaded. However, the source
> code explicitly says you have no right to use that source code for
> anything other than forming a bit exact reference model.

Intel's sample code is distributed on the Intel web site under license
from Intel - I do not distribute Intel's code or ITU's code within my
patch file.  If Intel has used code from ITU or anyone else, then I
presume they got permission for it before they released it under their
own license.  The Intel license states that anyone may download the code
from Intel, modify it, and distribute the modifications with an application.

My patch simply modifies Intel's sample so that it can be linked to from
an Asterisk server.  The G.729 codec is implemented within the code from
Intel - not the section of code I have authored and distributed.

If you have an issue with the code Intel is distributing, then you
should take it up with them.  I'm sure their legal department looked at
it before it was published on their site.

I suggest you take another look over my code and see if you can find
anything that looks controversial - all you will find is some memory
allocation, encoder/decoder creation, and passing frames to the
encoder/decoder - http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/open/g729

Regards,

Daniel