[Asterisk-Dev] Free G.729 ready for download

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 24 11:20:54 MST 2004

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Eric Wieling wrote:
>

>>You'll pay a lot if you live where ITU patents are enforced, which seems
>>to be "most of the world"
>>
>>Here is the licensing priceing info for G723.1 direct from the patent
>>holder's web site: http://www.dspg.com/technology/LicensePricing.html
>>

>Note that DSPG only represents half of the patent owners. You also will
>have to pay off lucent and some others (I forget who).

G.723.1 is particularly hard and expensive to get the IP licences for.
There is no one stop shopping solution, as there appears to be for G.729
(appears, because you never know what might crawl out of the woodwork).
Why would anyone want to use G.723.1 these days, anyway? An illusion of
bandwidth savings?

Regards,
Steve