[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Embedded?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:22:45 MST 2004

but why not VoiceMail Features?

>I can see using core Asterisk functionality in a softphone, like a cross
>platfom / cross protocol "iCrossterisk".
>
>But a whole cluster of iPaqs running voicemail kind of things, I'm not
>sure I see the point in that.

The whole concept of voicemail is that it is available even when the
user is not reachable.  Voicemail services should normally run on core
network servers with high uptime and plenty of connectivity.  Otherwise,
how is a caller going to leave a message when the ipaq is out of range
or suffering from a flat battery?

Technically it is feasible, but in practical terms it's a bit like a
solar powered flashlight.

On the other hand, it may be quite legitimate for the user to be able to
download their voicemail into a local cache for future reference, and to
reduce the hard disk space used in the central server environment.