[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Embedded?

Kenneth Shaw ken at expitrans.com
Thu Sep 23 10:36:54 MST 2004

Right. My immediate goal is to develop a stable Softphone.

I've been working with gphone, kphone, shtoom, etc. etc. and none offer
the capabilities that I need.

Regardless of an "embedded" or stripped down Asterisk, what is so very
nice is that Asterisk already has all the various channels. So for
instance, purposing something along the lines of an object model where
you on a local system could conceivably control Asterisk as a library
from various UI implementations. So be it a softphone application, or an
application running on a handheld. The Asterisk impl. itself would then
use this same library.

While thinking about it, it seems to me that it might be a step
backward. Asterisk as is, unifies all the different codecs, protocols,
hardware, etc. and so isolating it as a library, etc. could conceivably
be backward momentum. Which is why I am suggesting an "embedded"
application, or at least a significantly stripped down model.

Although the Asterisk Internals are setup to do this easily, it seems
like a branch, sister project, or whatever, is necessary.

-Ken Shaw...