[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Embedded?

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 10:20:54 MST 2004

I've been thinking it would be better to move some of the functionality,
particularly the codecs, into the kernel, or possibly a generic codec
API that would be portable across the whole UNIX platform, similar to
non-kernel APIs such as PAM.

The rational behind this is that many applications (eg GnomeMeeting,
Asterisk, KPhone) would potentially share the same codec implementations.

In your case, you might find that the whole of Asterisk might be
overkill on a handheld device, whereas all you really want is some of
these essential multimedia functions that could be invoked from your
(potentially bespoke) application.