[Asterisk-Dev] Windows

Tue Sep 21 06:36:45 MST 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:31:28 +0800, list at asd-group.com
<list at asd-group.com> wrote:
> buying more hardware is not an option unfortunately - on
> long-term sick leave at the moment and am using this to occupy my time and
> *avoid* spending more cash!! :-)

Well, I don't know where you reside, but I just picked up a PowerMac
8500 with 128MB RAM, 700MB HD and 3 PCI slots for 1500 yen here in
Tokyo where I live, that's about 13.50 USD or 11 EUR. Something like
this makes a fine Asterisk box for home or small office use. It'll
take about two hours to install Yellow Dog Linux on it and another 30
minutes for Zaptel and Asterisk.

Let's assume where you are such a box costs 5 times as much, that's
still less than half of what you pay for a single Zaptel card, so it
shouldn't make much of a difference. Let's further assume you will
need 10 times as much time as I do to get Asterisk going, that's still
going to ge far less effort than porting any kind of driver from Linux
to Windoze.

To be honest, I think you are looking for excuses. If you want to
waste your time on that excuse for an operating system of yours, don't
make excuses for yourself - by all means, GO FOR IT! Just don't expect
anybody here to nominate you for a medal or whatever it may be you
expect of us.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.