[Asterisk-Dev] results: Intel's IPP G.729 with Asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Sep 17 21:17:17 MST 2004

Hi,

About 18 months ago I took the IPP based codec, and experimented with
it. It performs in the same ballpark as Digium's original G.729 codec,
when run of a P4 based Xeon machine. I think Digium's newer codec runs
about the same speed as the old one. The IPP stuff really sucks. They
use the parallelism of the SIMD instructions, but combine it with so
much overhead the final performance is unimpressive. If you take the
floating point version of the reference codec from the ITU web site it
isn't that much slower. None  of these codecs seems to have been
sensibly optimised.

Regards,
Steve