[Asterisk-Dev] OT - Regulatory hurdles for Zaptel and Japanese PRI

Tue Sep 14 06:57:57 MST 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:37:40 +1000, Duane <duane at e164.org> wrote:
> John Todd wrote:
>
> > permitted?  If the answer is "Yes" then I can't see how this
> > configuration would be illegal, but of course regional legal issues
> > change with the wind in protectionist environments.
>
> I don't know about Japan, but they fixed that loop hole with simple
> wording in Australia, "must not be connected directly or indirectly", so
> the only way round that here is to play with RF... Even then RF is
> another mine field...

The situation in Japan is generally such that all law texts and all
regulation is very fuzzy and intentionally left wide open to
interpretation. Government agencies and authorities have wide ranging
discretionary powers to make decisions, but they do not generally make
use of them to the effect that they would take any decisions that go
against what they *believe* the higher authority would want them to
do.

This is precisely why type approval for what is in its very nature a
disruptive technology can be tricky. It doesn't matter much what the
rules say because they are fuzzy enough to be bent. What matters is
whether or not you can gain the sympathy of the decision makers for
your application. If your product is presented in a way that they
believe goes against the grain of what their work is all about, then
you are not going to get any approval. That's why we will need to keep
a low profile and show them that we are good citizens ;-)

At the same time, the fuzziness also has an upside for the interim
period. If you can show that you are in the midst of the type approval
process, nobody is going to have an issue with you already connecting
your equipment even though technically you would have to wait until
your approval is granted. Then again, if you abuse that leeway, you
will get yourself into trouble again.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.