[Asterisk-Dev] OT - Regulatory hurdles for Zaptel and Japanese PRI

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Sep 14 01:43:32 MST 2004

At 3:56 AM +0900 on 9/9/04, Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:
>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:16:30 -0500, Steven Critchfield
><critch at basesys.com> wrote:
>>
>>  While I am certain it could be possible to write a asterisk stand in
>>  application to hook up the J1 modified libpri to the zapata card for
>>  testing, would that be sufficient for when you take out the stand in
>>  code and put asterisk back in it's place?
>
>The honest answer to that is "I don't know".
>
>For anyone interested in Japanese PRI here is the URL to NTT's specs
>(in English) ...
>
>http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/ISDN/tech/spec/espec/index.html
[snip]

So, I think someone had suggested before (a long, long time ago) that
some other "filter" could be used to legalize connection of Asterisk
to the PSTN in Japan.  This may not actually work in practice, but
perhaps two back-to-back J1 CSU/DSU units would serve the purpose.

(PSTN) -> dmarc -> RJ-45 -> CSU/DSU -> v.35 cable -> CSU/DSU -> RJ-45 -> T100P

The piece of equipment that is connecting to the PSTN is a legally
certified (and hopefully relatively low-cost) item, which would then
just convert the signal to V.35 high-speed serial data.  Then, that
cable would run to another CSU/DSU which would reverse the process,
and from there right into the Asterisk card.  This is certainly
breaking the spirit of the laws, but perhaps not the letter of the
law.  In reality, it would be like connecting an Asterisk server to
your PBX - is that permitted?  If the answer is "Yes" then I can't
see how this configuration would be illegal, but of course regional
legal issues change with the wind in protectionist environments.

While this is not the "right" solution, it certainly could be
implemented almost immediately.  If a less expensive platform could
be found for "conversion" of signals, then maybe that would just be
the additional expected cost of doing business in Japan and the
strains of J1 certification would not be required, though the
development cycle of supporting J1 would still need to happen (unless
the CSU/DSUs could also be made to convert between J1 and T1/E1, but
that seems to be asking a lot.)

JT