[Asterisk-Dev] Using Asterisk to record calls NOT passing through Asterisk

Sun Sep 12 04:19:33 MST 2004

Hi

we have a prospective customer who wishes to record all calls coming
in and going out of their call center which is based on a remote Avaya
softswitch and local Avaya SIP phones.

Before anybody is going to suggest to use Asterisk in between those
SIP phones and the Avaya switch, let me tell you that this is a deal
breaker. The customer will not run any calls through anything that is
not approved by Avaya because they would lose their SLAs.

The only way we can get Asterisk in there as a recording device would
be as an external VoIP traffic sniffer and capturing system that is
not in any way within the communications path.

I imagine that it would be possible to develop an application that
could sit on top of Asterisk's Application API or perhaps Channel API
which would listen on the Ethernet for any SIP traffic, capture all
the relevant RTP packets and dump them into a file per conversation.

Of course this could well be a standalone app but I suppose there
would be some synergy using Asterisk as a framework to plug in to. At
the very least there would be a benefit from a marketing viewpoint.

The customer says the only solution they have found so far would be to
connect each of their 50 or so SIP phones to a little recording box to
capture the conversations from the handsets before it goes packetised.
That would be somewhere in the order of 150-200 USD per phone, which
means there is somebody with a budget of roughtly 7500 to 10.000 USD
to spend on a recording system.

In other words, if we play this right, we could win a substantial
sponsorship for the development of such a voip traffic capturing and
recording module for Asterisk. I would appreciate to hear from
developers who would be interested in such a project and willing and
able to provide an estimation of time and effort required.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.