[Asterisk-Dev] Feature additions during -rc phase?

Fri Sep 10 09:48:40 MST 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:16:03 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming
<kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com> wrote:
> Seems to me that if Asterisk is in "release candidate" phase none of
> this stuff will end up in 1.0, since it should be in feature freeze and
> only getting bugfixes and documentation enhancements. If that's the
> case, I'll make sure that I continue to use CVS HEAD for my systems,
> rather than planning on using 1.0, since I want to use some of these new
> features :-)

Kevin, I really like your domain name, especially the part that says
"back to basics". The basics we need to get to is a 1.0 release of
Asterisk.

Putting features before proper quality control has given us Mircosoft
and the "<shrug> dunno what happened, just reboot and hope it won't
happen again" culture.

You can always patch a final 1.0 release, but it is difficult to get
third parties to support Asterisk as long as it remains like shooting
at a moving target. This is holding Asterisk back. We must overcome
our boyz-want-toyz instincts and sacrifice features in order to take
Asterisk to the next level. Right now, there isn't anything as
important as getting to that 1.0 milestone.

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.