[Asterisk-Dev] G729 in non-realtime mode - way forward for Asterisk?

Mon Oct 25 01:52:14 MST 2004

Somebody mentioned that there is a G729 converter for non-realtime use
that could be used royalty free. I couldn't find anything on Sipro's
web site, but maybe I overlooked something.

Does anybody know what precisely the licensing/royalty situation is in
respect of non-realtime use or better still does anybody have links?
All I could find was royalty free use of the codec for development
purposes but no mentioning of non-realtime royalty-free use.

What I would like to find out is this ...

- is every non-realtime use of the codec royalty-free, regardless of
application?
- is non-realtime use of the codec royalty-free only for certain
purposes, such as education or trials?
- is it only a certain converter that's royalty-free when used non-realtime?

What I have in mind would be a modified app_voicrmail which would kick
off a batch conversion in the background to and from .gsm recorded
messages and playback depending on which codec the caller is using
when retrieving messages. It would seem this could be done without too
much effort.

If the use of a G729 converter in batch mode  for non-realtime is
royalty-free, then this would be a way forward to live happily ever
after with Asterisk in passthrough mode only.

any links clarifying the licensing situation and also comments towards
development would be appreciated.

rgds
benjk
Tokyo, Japan.