[Asterisk-Dev] DUNDi(tm) = Gnutella?

Andreas Anderson galium123 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 04:48:18 MST 2004

Hi Guys,

can someone tell me why DUNDi does not use the same principals as BGP4,
where
on session start *all* routes are transmitted from one peer to another,  and
later only
transmit the changes? If i understand the whitepaper correctly, any lookup
in the
network will be sent to *any* peer. So this is basically the same as
Gnutella.

Gnutella worked fine in the beginning, but now you can fill allmost any
available bandwith
without downloading/uploading any file. With 10 gnutella peers i can easily
saturate
my 2Mbit link in both directions.

Won't we have the same problem as gnutella in a few years? I'm sure DUNDi
works fine
at the moment, but imagine a few years in the future, when it's a IETF- (or
even ITU-)
standard with a few thousands of peers...

Memory to store all routes shouldn't be a problem, one BGP4 full feed takes
only 50MB,
and thats about 130'000 routes...

Any comments?

Regards, Andreas