[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk on RouterBoard or other small PCs

Chris Armour chris.armour at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 20 19:05:53 MST 2004

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie with a question about small, appliance-style applications of Asterisk.

Is anyone familiar with the RouterBoard mini-PC found at this website: http://www.routerboard.com/? Specifically, the RouterBoard 230 has a PCI slot which might accommodate a Digium Wildcard TDM400P FXS/FXO interface card. The RouterBoard unit supports up to 512 MB of RAM and has a slot for a CompactFlash or micro hard drive, Ethernet ports etc. It supposedly works with Linux 2.4 & 2.6 kernels. My thought is to take one of these and marry it to the Digium card for a very small SOHO type PBX that could support a mix of Analog & IP phones. The WIKI makes reference to the Soekris mini-PCs, but these look a bit underpowered to me.

Any thoughts from the experts would be welcome. If anyone has a success story on the small, appliance-style application I would be curious to hear it.

Thanks!