[Asterisk-Dev] DUNDi (Was: A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk)

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Oct 20 14:20:15 MST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> My gut reaction is that this seems like an awful lot of new code just
> to do something that an open ENUM-like DB would do.  If the problem is
> that none of the current ENUM administrators will delegate, then
> *that* is the problem that needs fixing.  Creating a new protocol
> simply to get around the delegations problems is a bit over the top.

I can't see how ENUM and local number portability are really supposed
to mix.  ENUM is based on a hierarchical numbering plan, which was a
lot closer to reality a few years ago then it is now.  I mean, if a
single LEC owns an entire NPA-NXX block, then populating ENUM
information is easy.  When pieces of the block start migrating to other
carriers, it turns into a total mess.  Plus, ENUM implies a top-down
administrative model, and a lot of people would really like to get away
from that model if we can.

I'm not convinced that DUNDi is vastly better--I haven't had a chance
to read the ID yet--but the model is pretty close to BGP, which seems
to work fairly well for managing the Internet's routing system.  It's
certainly not flawless, but it seems to work in practice.

Scott