[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 18 10:07:38 MST 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Florian Overkamp wrote:
>
>> Uhm, I'm not in the USA, but if I remember all this correctly, the DMCA
>> explicitly allows reverse engineering with the purpose to create an
>> original work in order to achieve interoperability. I think that would
>> pretty much allow it, unless patent-law is broken.
>

> IIRC, there is an exception to the reverse-engineering rule that
> disallows reverse-engineering for the purposes of
> breaking/defeating/compromising encryption. In this case, that would
> be necessary for interoperability, since Skype is encrypted.
>
> Really, that's the biggest obstacle anyway: even if you can figure out
> their protocol, and what encryption methods they are using, if you
> can't get their encryption keys you haven't really accomplished anything.

They can play the IM game too - endlessly tampering with their protocol
a little to screw you up. Cisco would find that hard with SCCP, and
probably wouldn't want to do it ayway. Because they run a service and
can pump people updates its probably pretty easy for Skype.

If people don't want to play nicely in the sandpit, don't mess about
with them. Kick 'em where it hurts. :-)

Regards,
Steve