[Asterisk-Dev] A crazy idea... Skype channel in Asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Oct 18 10:04:22 MST 2004

Florian Overkamp wrote:

> Uhm, I'm not in the USA, but if I remember all this correctly, the DMCA
> explicitly allows reverse engineering with the purpose to create an
> original work in order to achieve interoperability. I think that would
> pretty much allow it, unless patent-law is broken.

IIRC, there is an exception to the reverse-engineering rule that
disallows reverse-engineering for the purposes of
breaking/defeating/compromising encryption. In this case, that would be
necessary for interoperability, since Skype is encrypted.

Really, that's the biggest obstacle anyway: even if you can figure out
their protocol, and what encryption methods they are using, if you can't
get their encryption keys you haven't really accomplished anything.