[Asterisk-Dev] Festival Module

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 13:41:57 MST 2004

--- Jeff Clark <h0tw1r3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings asterisk developers.  I'm new to the project.  If I miss
> any
> required etiquette, please be nice!
>
> After looking into the festival module for the first time, I noticed
> that it required users to compile a patched version.  I for one hate
> to doing such things (`apt-get install festival` seems reasonable to
> me).  Reading the festival docs, I came up with an alternative
> festivalcommand:
>
> (utt.send.wave.client (utt.wave.resample (utt.wave.rescale (utt.synth
> (eval (list 'Utterance 'Text "%s"))) 5 ) 8000 ))\n

Two things about the above.
1) What does this do to your CPU utilization?  Maybe you don't care
but on a larger system with many users you might care.

2) You are still using Festival is the "dumb mode" that was intended
only as a demo.  You really want to send marked up text so
Festival can get the inflection, timming and tone closer to correct.

> It worked on my debian unstable install.  Could others test this on
> their system with a stock festival install?
>
> I am also working on a patch to address
> http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002592
>
> The initial patch was simple, but as I progressed through the code I
> noticed that it could be improved in other places to provide a little
> more efficient use.  I should be able to post a patch this evening
> when I get home.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff Clark

=====