[Asterisk-Dev] SS7 for *

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Oct 4 16:34:40 MST 2004

Tom Zimnicki wrote:

> [...]
> Not knowing who these guys are, there may be at least two other *SS7
> groups working out there.

Possible, but somewhat unlikely. There have been a number of people who
thought it must be easy to achieve SS7 for *, starting from openss7.
Nobody has actually got anywhere with that approach. We looked at the
openss7 code. We moved on, and built something new from scratch. Just
from the looking at the history of this thing, I would be surprised if
another viable SS7 for * project exists.

> Why waste resources and effort if folks can agree on a common set of
> goals?

That assumes a common set of goals it achievable. With the problems we
still face over approvals, and so on, we can't even agree on 100% of our
own goals. :-)

Regards,
Steve