[Asterisk-Dev] Wish List / Brain Storm from AstriCon

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Oct 1 04:40:35 MST 2004

Steven Sokol wrote:

>37) R2 Integration (along with SS7 and QSIG).

R2 support has now been released as GPL code. SS7 is now working at a
test site in Germany, though is unlikely to become GPL any time soon. It
is currently carrying small scale non-fee paying traffic, while its
stability is being assessed. This is a fresh implementation of SS7,
owing nothing to implementations like OpenSS7.

>[...]
>
>39) Move from GLIB C to MicroLib C for better support of embedded systems.

Shouldn't that be support uLIBC as well, rather than instead? Excellent
idea. Threading seems to screw up when using uLIBC right now. That seems
to be the only thing stopping me from running a stripped down * on
Linksys boxes.

>40) T.38 fax support over Asterisk (pass-through).

Passthrough should be possible using the T38modem code in H.323. Some
work is needed, but I doubt its that much.

>41) What happened to SpanDSP?  Steve Underwood.  Had to drop the project.
>May pick it back up again.

Eh? It has been in continuous active development. The April release has
been pretty stable, so I haven't had cause to keep releasing small
increments. A pre-release of the next major step was made available for
download this week. I suggest only serious testers play with it.

>42) Steve Underwood may be working on R2?  Working on Class 1 and 2 support
>in his Span DSP.  He is looking for support (financial and/or technical).

R2 is released. Class 1 is being worked on, at a low priority. Class 2
is pointless, as HylaFax can do all that stuff for you. I am not looking
for financial support, though a MacLaren F1 would be nice :-). If anyone
wants to push the class 1 implementation forward, they are most welcome to.

>[...]
>SNMP support for Asterisk.

That would be valuable.

>Voice quality monitoring?

That is hard, and the standardised methods - the ones most people will
accept - seem to have some IP issues. I tend to think most of the
results they achieve are rather bogus, anyway.

>Frame slip warnings and more across SNMP.  Essentially alarm forwarding as
>SNMP.

An *excellent* idea. However, I remain unconvinced the current software
actually detects slips properly. I am implementing the ITU BERT specs
right now, to try to provide a proper end-to-end platform for this. The
T1/E1 framer chips support BERT tests, but a test to the application
level is what is really needed.

Regards,
Steve