[Asterisk-Dev] DUNDI implementation in SER

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Nov 30 09:14:07 MST 2004

At 11:02 AM +0100 on 11/30/04, Claus Futtrup wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I was wondering if it's possible to make DUNDI work in ser, and if
>any one would help me build it?
>
>Kind Regards
>
>Claus Futtrup

There are two ways you might consider doing this:

1) ENUM hook into DUNDi

2) Complete integration of DUNDi in SER

#1 has benefits of quick integration, and wider usage by other
ENUM-capable devices.  Downsides are that you have to run an Asterisk
server to "advertise" your number ranges, and you lose some of the
keyed URI linkages.

#2 has benefits that you can integrate SIP registration status into
route appearance (very handy in some limited environments), no
mucking around with possible ENUM DNS leakage, and a quicker
resolution time.

I'm sure there are additional benefits or drawbacks to both
approaches, but this is what seems obvious to me.  The ENUM hook
method has seen some resistance due to fear of the e164 context
leaking out to the "public" resolvers, which is against the GPA.  In
other words, a political issue.    The complete integration of DUNDi
into SER would be a neat module, but fairly complex.

JT