[Asterisk-Dev] need some suggestions

Ronald van der Pol Ronald.vanderPol at rvdp.org
Tue Nov 30 05:51:46 MST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 16:38:55 -0800, Tracy R Reed wrote:

> But if I have a Linux box on the ipv6 network I cannot talk to ipv4 right?
> And vice versa? Unless perhaps I have a network interface on each. I don't
> see it nearly so much as a problem of equipment compatibility as the fact
> that the networks cannot talk to each other.

That's right. Current thinking is using IPv4 and IPv6 in parallel.
This is called dual stack. If your Linux box wants to talk to another
host or server that is not IPv6 enabled yet, it will use IPv4. If the
other side is IPv6 enabled, it will use IPv6. As more and more hosts
and servers get IPv6 enabled, more and more traffic will flow via IPv6.
It's a gradual move towards IPv6.

The biggest advantage of IPv6 is its large address space. Any node
can get a globally routable address. There is no need for NAT and
all the configuration problems of NAT do not exist in IPv6.

Third generation mobile phones (UMTS) will use IPv6 SIP.

Almost all operating systems support IPv6 these days. Unfortunately,
very few ISPs offer IPv6 access. That is why there are several
initiatives that offer free of charge tunneled (IPv6 tunneled over
the IPv4 network) IPv6 access, e.g. www.freenet6.net. In that way
anyone can get access to the IPv6 network.

If you want to know if the other side supports IPv6, look if it has
got a AAAA (pronounce: quad A) address, like:

$ dig www.iptel.org aaaa

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> www.iptel.org aaaa
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 5

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.iptel.org.                 IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.iptel.org.          86400   IN      CNAME   fox.iptel.org.
fox.iptel.org.          86400   IN      AAAA    2001:638:806:2001:202:b3ff:fe38:c1cc

	rvdp