[Asterisk-Dev] need some suggestions

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Mon Nov 29 17:41:26 MST 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 06:55 pm, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 07:01:50PM -0500, steve szmidt spake thusly:
> > IPv6 is not a matter of if, but when. IPv6 is being used much more
> > internationally and sooner or later we will need to catch up.
>
> I am trying to figure out how to migrate to ipv6 but the lack of backwards
> compatibility is a real killer. How are most people working this out? I
> would love to be able to move clients networks to ipv6 and solve this
> hideous nat problem once and for all but it just does not seem possible. I
> think there will eventually be a lot of consulting work for ipv4->ipv6
> network migration if this compatiblity issue could be solved cleanly. I
> could swear I heard someone a few years ago say it was a solved issue but
> I can't recall how.

In the US it's a real problem as there are pieces (hosts & gateways) that
support it and others which don't. And I think the responses on this thread
reflects what is going on here in the US. Too many don't see a reason to
change. And without the motivation it will obviously delay.

The change will also be costly for many companies, and they are waiting for
the others to change. Who are waiting for the other "others" to change.

If you have a Linux box you can probably use it to a large extent, but there
will be those who don't support it. If I had the time I would have tried it
just to see what kind of support I'll see...

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin