[Asterisk-Dev] need some suggestions

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at dayark.com
Mon Nov 29 11:42:36 MST 2004

> Greg may be right, but the reality is that several large corporations
> and even some Government agencies (including US DoD) have stated they
> intend to change to IPv6.  I believe some of them, DoD included, have
> even set deadlines.
>
> In other words, people will need IPv6 support in Asterisk sooner or
> later, whether IPv6 itself is necessary or not.

Ehh, they said the same thing about Ada. Truth is, sweeping
infrastructure changes like that can only move forward, laws or
otherwise, if the general population makes the effort. What will happen
most likely is similar to Microsoft's "implementation" of POSIX in
Windows, which was "just" enough (although not enough to be useful) to
fulfill government contract requirements. It will be there in some form,
but there won't be any real meaningful effort involved.

Fact of the matter is that IPv4 and IPv6 networks coexist peacefully now
as it is, which means that the address-space panic of a few years ago
has greatly diminished. Not that some companies and/or goverment
agencies won't try to justify incredible expenditures in IPv6 rollout by
trying to make their vendors follow suit....but that those vendors
probably are going to follow the MS/POSIX model and do "just enough".

IMO, IPv6 is dead already.

Greg