[Asterisk-Dev] why not disable clock when using multiple Zaptel cards?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Sun Nov 28 02:23:53 MST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

> This is not exactly numbers, but I knwo for example that a P3 Linux box
> which does not use any form of polling or interrupt mitigation will die
> of interrupt livelock if you try to route 100 base T worth of traffic
> but will route them without issue if you use some sort of interrupt
> mitigation.
>
> So, yes, I would guess interrupt overhead IS siginifact.

Then the interrupt overhead is not insignificant compared to the
processing required for the packet. A fully loaded 100TX is at least 6000
packets per second up to 60000 or so. The interrupt load from the 1kHz
interrupts should be lighter.

If there are several digium cards with 1kHz interrupts then maybe only one
of them should be causing interrupts. The other cards could be serviced
from within that handler. It does sound a bit tricky.

Peter