[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 MIPS calculation

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Nov 26 05:28:43 MST 2004

Hi,

MIPs is not always a very meaningful figure with processors like a
Pentium. Cache pressure can have a huge impact. The figure ot 80-100MIPs
per instance suggests a 3GHz Pentium will do far more than an E1. When I
tested by running many instances of the IPP G.729 I think I had about 40
per processor, doing nothing by G.729 coding of audio buffered memory.

The ratio of 6:1 you quote for compression:decompression time sounds a
bit high. 4:1 or 5:1 sounds more likely. I doubt the measurement
accuracy of that recalc is very good.

Regards,
Steve