[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 MIPS calculation

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Nov 26 00:57:03 MST 2004

Miroslav Nachev wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   I would like to meter the MIPS for G.729 implementation using Intel
>IPP. Can you help me how to do that?
>

>   Best Regards,
>   Miroslav Nachev

For 1 Rx channel + 1 Tx channel, G.729 typically takes 10 to 20MIPs on a
DSP, depending how you count MIPs, and what the DSP chip is. It
typically takes 80 to 100MIPs on a Pentium, depending on the
implementation. The IPP stuff doesn't make a huge difference, as it
doesn't seem to speed things up a great deal. On a 3GHz Pentium you can
typically run about an E1's worth of G.729 channels. A really efficient
version might get you to 2 E1s, but I haven't seem one that quite gets
that far.