[Asterisk-Dev] Business Case for a DS3 Channel/Driver in Asterisk VoIP

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Wed Nov 24 19:08:12 MST 2004

Race Vanderdecken wrote:

>	Are we mice or men? Are we going to take being dictated to by
>the Telephone Company? Did not one of you ever watch "The President's
>Psychiatrist"? (James Coburn played the lead; the Phone Company played
>the Villain.)

The movie was called _The President's Analyst_ and the phone company
turned out to be run by robots who wanted to implant phones in the
Americans' heads.  It was kind of the 60s version of a Leslie Nielson movie.

>So tell me, why do you need a DS3 into Asterisk?

Because the phone companies still run the phone network.  For sending
600+ calls over a circuit to a customer, they use DS-3s.  Ipso facto, if
you want 672 channels from the phone company in your Asterisk box, you
need a DS-3 interface.  Otherwise, you must either split the DS-3 up
into DS-1s or provision more DS-1s.  The monthly local loop charges (the
cost for the ILEC to give you copper from the MDF to the demarc) alone
for 28 PRI DS-1s is probably more than all the (home) phone bills you've
ever paid in your life combined, assuming you've been paying a phone
bill for 20 years or less.

>Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken
>
>(The title of "Tyrant" comes free with OCD.)

Obsessive-compulsive disorder?  Or some OCD I don't know about?

Nick