[Asterisk-Dev] Perl AGI + MySql Audio

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Nov 24 10:18:07 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 09:10 -0700, Brian T. Roy wrote:
> First, I don't have a problem with your database solution.
>
> Second, let me offer an alternative that may make your life a bit
> easier.
>
> Store the audio files on an HTTP server (apache works great) and stream
> them as you need them.
>
> The nice thing about this is you can use VBR instead of shoving the
> ENTIRE file across your network (VoIP loves all those 1500k data packets
> clogging up the router for the 8k voice packets) you can stream it down
> and put it on the audio channel. Should be doable with AGI and PHP or
> Perl.

Other than HTTP being another transport of the file, it doesn't buy you
much. Currently for asterisk to play the file, it is going to need the
file to be local to the machine, or appear local. While it might not be
too hard to modify the app_mp3.c file to allow other than mp3 files to
be played, it still might not serve Darren's needs to play the audio and
probably still listen for DTMF.

This is why I still think a networked file server is still the best
option as it is a zero code change to asterisk to make it work, it moves
only as much of the file across the network as is needed(possibly
shortened by DTMF) and can be shared amongst the machines needing the
access just fine.