[Asterisk-Dev] Business Case for a DS3 Channel/Driver in AsteriskVoIP

Nathan Littlepage nathan at iwantka.com
Mon Nov 22 10:18:23 MST 2004

> In countries where its difficult to import used telecom
> equipment (I've never heard of that one before) - it is
> doubly likely to be impossible to connect anything
> non-certified. And TNT DS3 is much more likely to be
> certified in any given country.

The only issue I've heard from the TNT and customs was in its initial
release. They have big bold TNT printed on the sides of wooden crates. Which
of course required much explaining that eventually got taken off the
shipping crates.

Personally I would detour from the TNT and like Lucent gear because it can
only be used in a H323 setup. Lucent has pushed IPDC for this gear and until
recently has offered SIP on it. SIP of course is not cheap. If I where to
load a DS3 worth of calls I would depend on MGCP for my signaling protocol
and use one of the Cisco 5400 series boxes from the gray market.

I have yet to see a vendor create a PCI DS3 card that supports full 672
DSO's. SBE has a PMC format card that can support 672 DS0 HDLC data
connections.