[Asterisk-Dev] Business Case for a DS3 Channel/Driver in Asterisk VoIP

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Nov 22 09:55:11 MST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Race Vanderdecken wrote:

> 	I think that many of you are not thinking about users/customers in
> locations where it is difficult to import used telecom equipment.
What the *are* you talking about? Have you ever experienced that problem?

In countries where its difficult to import used telecom equipment (I've
never heard of that one before) - it is doubly likely to be impossible to
connect anything non-certified. And TNT DS3 is much more likely to be
certified in any given country.

> 	Sure, you could make this work with hardware for $10,000 to
> $50,000.
TNT nicely loaded for 192 voip lines is ~3500$.

> 	You could by a Cisco DS3 box, seal it in a big steel case, slap an
> asterisk label on the outside and the work would be done.
I've never heard in my life of a "problem of getting X through customs".

> 	Then there is the problem of cramming cards into chassis's, wiring
> the chassis's. My first exposure to VoIP was through dialogic cards. The
> heat and the cables and the cost blew the budget. The PC's weren't the
> problem; the Telco side cost was sucking the air out of the room.
>
> 	Are we mice or men? Are we going to take being dictated to by the
> Telephone Company? Did not one of you ever watch "The President's
> Psychiatrist"? (James Coburn played the lead; the Phone Company played
> the Villain.)
Again, stop talking, start doing something. So far, its only been loads of
hot air from you, in response to doubt. PLEASE REPLY WHICH PCI CARD YOU
HAVE FOUND WITH INTERFACE THAT COULD SUPPORT CHANNELIZATION OF DS0.

> I am a VoIP guy. In the world of VoIP equipment is persona non grata.
> VoIP is digital. DSP's are so analog.
>
> So tell me, why do you need a DS3 into Asterisk?
>
> Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken (The title of "Tyrant" comes free with
> OCD.)
That explains it. Troll somewhere else.

Thanks.