[Asterisk-Dev] Is there a need for a DS3 channel/driver?

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 21 05:55:16 MST 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 02:42:50PM -0500, John Todd wrote:

> Following up on this rather long thread,

...a good read indeed.

> 3)
> where the price of the cabinet
> space is usually about 1:3 to the price of the cross-connect

+1 Opportunity knocks.

> 5)
>   SS7:
> FAS PRI is where I
> would see this working first, and then ISUP eventually.

(+1)^10

1) FAS
2) NFAS (It exists in *, right?)
3) Native ISUP; loadable modules so the flavor of the region is
   accomodated

   ss7net=====s/g---ip------*------n X IMT----------pstn
               +

	       +----ip------*------n X IMT----------pstn
               +

	       +----ip------*------n X IMT----------pstn
               +

	       +----ip------*------n X IMT----------pstn

> 6)
>   I've said before, and I'll say again: most of the biggest users of
> Asterisk never appear on this forum.  They never say anything.

I know of some.  Users != Developers (in a fuzzy logic context).

>   IBM: I'm waiting.  Step up to the plate, guys - this, along with
> many other Asterisk improvements, is where you could make a
> difference in telco-grade Linux.

IBM knows telecom is still consolidating as an industry, and IBM is not
known for circuit switching or VoIP, so it's a low ROI business sector for them
(IMHO).  Why not ask though?

They have supported lksctp generously by donating good people to the
project (leaders have had ibm.com in their email addresses for quite some time).
SCTP will be essential for integrating signal gateways with Asterisk.

--
Michael Mueller