[Asterisk-Dev] Is there a need for a DS3 channel/driver?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sat Nov 20 14:07:54 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 14:42 -0500, John Todd wrote:

>    IBM: I'm waiting.  Step up to the plate, guys - this, along with
> many other Asterisk improvements, is where you could make a
> difference in telco-grade Linux.  Same with OSDL.org - there seems to
> be a no focus on applications, despite that being where the greatest
> changes could happen for market uptake.

After a presentation by SGI to our LUG, it was mentioned how some of
their Altix hardware would possibly be a good fit for asterisk as well.
The Altix hardware allows you to add CPUs and memory to the problem as
seperate entities of the cluster. Also the P-bricks may allow some
people the ability to use more than 2 quads at once.

I would love to see SGI and/or IBM jumping in to see how easy it is to
kit up a really nice telecom system on their hardware.