[Asterisk-Dev] Is there a need for a DS3 channel/driver?

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Thu Nov 18 14:06:43 MST 2004

On Nov 18, 2004, at 12:49 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Mike M wrote:
>
>> Sometimes in the so-called unchannelized streams you are informed of
>> where the frame boundry is in the bitstream.  With that information
>> one
>> can create soft-channelization.  Perhaps this is unreasonable for a
>> DS3
>> however.
> Given that its a tough problem to drive current generation of quad-T1
> cards without frame slips, I think doing soft-ds3 stuff is crazy. It
> could
> be possible given enough buffers...But I think its crazy ;)

Yeah, but how many of the frame slips would disappear if you added a
couple extra ms worth of buffering on the card?  If we were willing to
add a bit of extra latency on TDM circuits and add a few bucks to the
cost of the cards, it seems like the frame slip problem would
disappear, because we wouldn't require hard 1 ms interrupt latencies
anymore.  I mean, modern PCs can clearly handle over 1 Gbps of
bus-mastered data traffic, so there's no real reason to assume that
they couldn't handle 45 Mbps of voice traffic *if* the interface
between the computer and the card was reasonable and we didn't have to
do much more then slap headers on buffers and ship them out.

I'm not convinced that the economics for DS3 cards makes a lot of
sense, but I don't think the technology is completely out of our reach,
either.

Scott