[Asterisk-Dev] Configurable SIP User Agent string

Thu Nov 4 18:10:25 MST 2004

Is there any chance somebody could make Asterisk's SIP User Agent
string configurable, so Asterisk can masquerade as some other device?

for example ...

or on the CLI ...

*CLI> sip set uastring "Supported Device V.1.2.3" my.serviceprovider.com

and

*CLI> sip clear uastring my.serviceprovider.com

This would allow many of us to get better support from service
providers who are hostile to Asterisk. Before you make a support call,
you could set the user agent to whatever the device they support
reports.

I have found that many times, whether you can use Asterisk with a
service that officially only supports a particular ATA, depends on
getting information from the provider as to which fields in the SIP
messages are off, ie. "That's odd, the from field says <sip:s at blah>
but it should be <sip:blah at blah>". Your are so much more likely to get
that kind of information if the log files report a user agent string
they recognise ;-)

Anybody else things this would be useful?

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.