[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 for Asterisk: new version released

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Wed Nov 3 18:54:09 MST 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> >>You are threatening Digium's ability to legally license G.729 to
> >>Asterisk users.
> >
> > I thought we are all for open source, which would mean *freedom* to
> > use the asterisk's code as one sees fit?
>
> Tell that to the patent holders of G.729.  There is no freedom, they own
> all rights.
True - but you are trying to stop someone who *doesn't* infringe on any of
my rights from distributing *their* software just because it might take
revenue from Digium.

> >>Please refrain from using Digium's resources to publicize your very
> >>legally questionable work.
> > I think this attack is uncalled for. What is next? Digium releasing
> > closed-source Asterisk GUI and asking all other GUI authors to avoid
> > publicizing their works in order not to take any money from Digium?
> Digium can write a new piece of software and license it how they feel.
> How does this apply to anything inside of Asterisk or the Asterisk
> developers list?
Is this asterisk developer list or this is (as you asserted before) a
"Digium resource"? If former, please don't bring issues of "lost revenue
for Digium" here, as it isn't development related.

> > Digium claiming that TheVoice is the exclusive recorded-prompts vendor
> > for asterisk when someone comes up with a free service?
> Again, TheVoice is a service provided by Digium, they can license it how
> they see fit.  If someone else wants to offer a similar service, nobody
> can stop them, especially not the GPL.
You seem to want to stop anything that might conceivably compete with
something Digium is doing. Why?

> > Asking authors of (cough) h323 driver to avoid using "digium's" lists
> > to publicise "their"  driver? It is a slippery slope.
> What are you smoking?
I'm asking - where do you draw the line? Just because new code might
result in lost revenue for Digium but overall benefit to Asterisk users,
doesn't mean you have to attack it on developer list.

> > Free (as in beer) g729 codec fills a niche for people who use it in
> > non-commercial endeavor and who do not need (or believe they don't)
> > patent licenses.
<snip>
> Until Voiceage signs off on your so-called 'free as in beer G.729', it
> is illegal and could possibly effect Digium's relationship with
> Voiceage.
Err, I frankly doubt it.

> > I love Digium, but I also love the freedom of GPL and freedom of
> > speech.
> If you truly love Digium, then don't threaten their ability to continue
> to legally license G.729 from Voiceage.
I'll love a statement from *digium* stating that. So far I hear only
assertions from you.

> Your time will be better spent submitting bug fixes on
> http://bugs.digium.com, provided you send in a disclaimer.
We all do what we can, eh ;)