[Asterisk-Dev] G.729 for Asterisk: new version released

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Wed Nov 3 17:44:36 MST 2004

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>

>>You are threatening Digium's ability to legally license G.729 to
>>Asterisk users.
>
> I thought we are all for open source, which would mean *freedom* to use
> the asterisk's code as one sees fit?

Tell that to the patent holders of G.729.  There is no freedom, they own
all rights.

>>Please refrain from using Digium's resources to publicize your very
>>legally questionable work.
>
> I think this attack is uncalled for. What is next? Digium releasing
> closed-source Asterisk GUI and asking all other GUI authors to avoid
> publicizing their works in order not to take any money from Digium?

Digium can write a new piece of software and license it how they feel.
How does this apply to anything inside of Asterisk or the Asterisk
developers list?

> Digium
> claiming that TheVoice is the exclusive recorded-prompts vendor for
> asterisk when someone comes up with a free service?

Again, TheVoice is a service provided by Digium, they can license it how
they see fit.  If someone else wants to offer a similar service, nobody
can stop them, especially not the GPL.

> Asking authors of
> (cough) h323 driver to avoid using "digium's" lists to publicise "their"
> driver? It is a slippery slope.

What are you smoking?

> Free (as in beer) g729 codec fills a niche for people who use it in
> non-commercial endeavor and who do not need (or believe they don't)
> patent licenses.

There is no such thing, Voiceage owns all rights to the process the ITU
calls G.729, there is no such thing as 'Free as in beer G.729'.

Voiceage has created a restricted windows binary object library for
which they allow developmental, non-commercial usage. You do not have
the same restrictions or any rights to release code or binary object
based on a patented process and algorithm.

Until Voiceage signs off on your so-called 'free as in beer G.729', it
is illegal and could possibly effect Digium's relationship with Voiceage.

> I love Digium, but I also love the freedom of GPL and freedom of speech.

If you truly love Digium, then don't threaten their ability to continue
to legally license G.729 from Voiceage.

Your time will be better spent submitting bug fixes on
http://bugs.digium.com, provided you send in a disclaimer.

Jeremy McNamara