[Asterisk-Dev] Proposed Feature: Execute an AGI or macro on dial app answer?

Steve Rodgers hwstar at rodgers.sdcoxmail.com
Sun May 30 12:36:51 MST 2004

Hi,

Would it be useful to extend the dial application to execute an AGI or
macro just before an incoming call is bridged? There doesn't seem to
be any way to execute extension logic once Dial has control. The need
for this feature arose from the following:

I need to be able to transfer caller ID info from a general database entry to
a database entry associated with a particular extension. In the case of
multiple phones ringing, any one of these phones can answer, and I'd
like to transfer the caller ID info to a database entry associated with that
phone only. This way if another call comes in and overwrites the CID in the
general database entry, it will, at least, be saved in the extension-specific
entry.

The point in app_dial.c where one would insert the required functionallity
is obvious, If one were to modify the code to execute something at this
point, could Asterisk be made to execute a macro or an AGI in this
"asynchronous" manner without injecting subtle bugs? Asynchronous hooks
are notorious for this type of behaviour.

Steve.