Subversion... was RE: [Asterisk-Dev] Solaris Port (was: asterisk-users: Re: Fedora Core 2 and Kernel 2.6)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 26 06:36:48 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 08:25, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > One of the things recently that caught my attention that would be of use
> > to people tracking private patches to asterisk is the ability to mirror
> > the tree. There is even some tools to be able to do "offline" work where
> > you make a personal mirror and work from there then merge your mirror
> > back to the main repository when you are back "online".
>
> For the Vexi project we are using Darcs -- it seems to work VERY well --
> anyone can have their own repository and patches can be intermingled as it
> keeps the context of every patch entered.

I guess that is part of why I have been hesitant to broach the subject.
Everyone has opinions that are on the level as what editor or what
distro when it comes to what versioned source control to use.

I don't want to push for a different source control unless there is a
fairly large benefit to be gained. I'm still not sure yet that
subversion provides a great enough benefit. I wish I was more proficient
at it and therefore could turn a export of the CVS into a good example
of what could be gained with svn.

I guess my main point in the previous post is to get others thinking
about what and how it could possibly be used to help those tracking
private changes to move forward.