Subversion... was RE: [Asterisk-Dev] Solaris Port (was: asterisk-users: Re: Fedora Core 2 and Kernel 2.6)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed May 26 06:18:27 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 21:42, Dr. Rich Murphey wrote:
>   BTW, do you have any objections to
> using subversion?

I've been contemplating how to broach that subject. There are several
tools that would make subversion a much easier tool for what the fringe
groups need(please don't consider that an insult).

One of the things recently that caught my attention that would be of use
to people tracking private patches to asterisk is the ability to mirror
the tree. There is even some tools to be able to do "offline" work where
you make a personal mirror and work from there then merge your mirror
back to the main repository when you are back "online".

The other thought is about the ability to make tags that point to
specific versions of each file.

The one thing I still want to find out more about, and might help us
moving forward is the ability to have resources that point to other
resources. This specifically would help those wanting to work from
within an autoconf environment to develop essentially a parallel tree
with a bunch of pointers back to the files from the main tree.

Not to mention that you can reorganize the file tree without loosing
versioning information.

Eventually I would love to get a copy of the CVS tree that is suitable
for the importation into subversion to do some testing of it and use the
cvs commit mails to keep it up to date.