[Asterisk-Dev] OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! NOT!!!

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri May 14 09:45:09 MST 2004

brian wrote:

>>Sadly, the article reads as more bogus than it really is. SIP really is
>>weak. RTP stream are almost universally unencrypted right now. Listening
>>in to a VoIP within your company is generally much easier than snooping
>>on a traditional call. I wonder how long it will take before encryption,
>>solid authentication, and other good stuff becomes widely deployed for
>>VoIP?
>>

>You also have to agree that the copper wire from my house to the CO is also
>unencrypted.  But for someone to listen in on voip they have to be in the
>middle and on a switched network its hard to do and on a WAN its hard to do.
>(notice I didn't say impossible because nothing is impossible)  And on that
>note we should all stop using email because it's evil and unencrypted.
>People might find out that I'm receiving v1agr@ and p3n1s enlargement emails
>er I mean spam.  Oh and I can refinance my mortgage at a new lower rate just
>so I can have room for the HUGE p3n1s I'm going to have... after I rush
>order my l33t enlargement pills.

Sure, the copper pair is fairly exposed and unencrypted. However, the
average person isn't like to do a physical tapes. Running a snooper on a
LAN is another matter. Switches don't usually help. Run one of the
little MAC flooder programs and most switches stop acting as switches.
Then you can snoop.

I just feel that if people can run a little program and snoop they are
far more likely to do it than if they have to make even the simplest
physical changes. Also, aren't things supposed to get better with newer
technologies? Why aren't people encrypting? It all seems like we are
taking a step back instead of forwards.

By the way. If you are re-mortgaging, have you considered debt
consolidation with a Christian perspective? :-)

Regards,
Steve